[R-sig-Geo] regression kriging with singular variogram

Bede-Fazekas Ákos bfalevlist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 13:49:19 CET 2015

Dear All,
I have a simple question about regression kriging (gstat:::krige()) and
variogram fitting (gstat:::fit.variogram()), which I have not found exact
answer for (neither in the description of package gstat, nor on the
internet). Does it cause any problem if I do regression kriging with a
fitted variogram (eg. a spherical or exponential type) that is singular (ie.
I got a message 'warning: singular model in variogram fit') but shows a
curve in plot(experimental_variogram, fitted_variogram) that is expected
(ie. it fits nicely to the points and has a shape as drawn in the books)?

A bonus question: is the message 'warning: singular model in variogram fit'
a warning or a simple message? I tried to use
fitted_variogram <- suppressWarnings(fit.variogram(...))
and
fitted_variogram <- suppressMessages(fit.variogram(...))
but none of them hides the message. Please let me know how to hide it.

Thanks in advance,
Ákos Bede-Fazekas
Corvinus University of Budapest
Hungary