[R-sig-Geo] Error installing 'rgdal' on Centos 7

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jan 16 11:38:57 CET 2015

On Fri, 16 Jan 2015, Manuel Pizarro Gavilán wrote:

> Hello Roger:
>
> Thank you for your email.
>
> Some details for the problem.
>
> This is the message of the console in R:
>

> ------------------
> install.packages("rgdal")
> Installing package into
> ‘/home/aliendist/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.1’
> (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
> probando la URL 'http://cran.rstudio.com/src/contrib/rgdal_0.9-1.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 1624496 bytes (1.5 Mb)
> URL abierta
> downloaded 1.5 Mb
>
> * installing *source* package ‘rgdal’ ...
> ** package ‘rgdal’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> configure: CC: gcc -m64 -std=gnu99
> configure: CXX: g++ -m64
> configure: rgdal: 0.9-1
> checking for /usr/bin/svnversion... yes
> configure: svn revision: 518
> configure: gdal-config: gdal-config
> checking gdal-config usability...
> ./configure: line 2119: gdal-config: command not found
> no
> Error: gdal-config not found
> The gdal-config script distributed with GDAL could not be found.
> If you have not installed the GDAL libraries, you can
> download the source from  http://www.gdal.org/
> If you have installed the GDAL libraries, then make sure that
> gdal-config is in your path. Try typing gdal-config at a
> shell prompt and see if it runs. If not, use:
> --configure-args='--with-gdal-config=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config'
> with appropriate values for your installation.
>
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘rgdal’
> * removing ‘/home/aliendist/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.1/rgdal’
> Warning in install.packages :
> installation of package ‘rgdal’ had non-zero exit status
>
> The downloaded source packages are in
>       ‘/tmp/Rtmpeaf9P4/downloaded_packages’
> -------------------
>
> I tried to install gdal -dev and gdal but it is impossible.

No, it isn't. Install PROJ.4 first then GDAL from source, and everything
is under your control.

The README file I referred to does list the RPMs needed, but you will do
better choosing the drivers for GDAL you need yourself, installing their
dependencies, and building at least PROJ.4 and GDAL from source. Centos 7
does not yet seem to be well supported anywhere for these, and for 6 the
versions are typically old or very old.

http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.8.0.tar.gz
http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-datumgrid-1.5.zip

then

http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/1.11.1/gdal-1.11.1.tar.gz

Remember to run ldconfig after installing to make the shared objects
visible.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no