[R-sig-Geo] Anova and confidence intervals for kppm models in spatstat

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jan 13 21:58:10 CET 2015

On 13/01/15 08:41, ASANTOS wrote:
> Dear Members,
>
>               I have two questions, first if there are approaches like
> anova.ppm for comparing a clustered point process models kppm in
> spatstat package (example above)? And second the same question for
> estimate the confidence intervals for kppm model parameters, like
> confint() function?
>
> data(bei)
> ## Model with elevation
> fit1 <- kppm(bei, ~elev, "Thomas", covariates = bei.extra)
> fit1
> ##Null model
> fit.null <- kppm(bei, ~1, "Thomas", covariates = bei.extra)
> fit.null
> #Comparing with ANOVA
> anova.ppm(fit1,fit.null, test="Chi")
> #but don't have anova.kppm?
> ##Confidence intervals
> confint(fit1)

The short answer is "no".  A somewhat longer answer:  If the method of
minimum contrast is used, there is no analogue of the log likelihood
ratio available and consequently no form of "anova" based on the
likelihood ratio test could possibly be done.  If either of the other
two methods ("clik2" or "palm") were used then at least conceivably some
form of anova *could* be done, but this possibility is not yet implemented.

Further theoretical development is needed. Adjustment of the analogue of
the likelihood ratio is required in order for this statistic to have the
required chi-squared null distribution, and the theory for this
adjustment needs to be worked out.  This is on our "to-do list" but
probably will not happen soon.

The necessary theory underlying the use of anova.ppm() for Gibbs models
has only recently become available.  See the references given in the
help for anova.ppm.  Previously anova could only be applied to *Poisson*
models fitted to point patterns.

Until further development is carried out you will have to get by on
Monte Carlo methods.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--