[R-sig-Geo] raster temporal files

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:09:45 CET 2015

On Fri Jan 09 2015 at 22:49:53 Agustin Lobo <alobolistas at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working with large files and observe that when I remove a raster layer
> in R, i.e.
> rm(a)
>
> the associated gri and grd files in /tmp/R_raster_alobo still remain.
> Is this normal or do I have
> a configuration problem? I thought that the temporal files would be deleted
> once the corresponding R object was removed.

It's documented in ?rasterOptions that

     For example, to change
     the default directory used to save temporary files, add a line
     like this: ‘options(rasterTmpDir='c:/temp/')’ to that file. All
     temporary raster files in that folder that are older than 24 hrs
     are deleted when the raster package is loaded.

I haven't tested this myself, but clearly that help page is relevant.

Cheers, Mike.