[R-sig-Geo] Local indicators for categorical data - spatial analysis

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Feb 11 13:34:36 CET 2015

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, JLong wrote:

> Hi Guilherme,
>
> Send me an email to jed.long at st-andrews.ac.uk
> I think I have some software/code that Barry Boots developed way back then
> somewhere on my machine...

LICD are not implemented, but you can get part of the way (just the
tabulations) by:

library(spdep)
data(oldcol)
HICRIME <- cut(COL.OLD$CRIME, breaks=c(0,35,80), labels=c("low","high"))
names(HICRIME) <- rownames(COL.OLD)
lw <- nb2listw(COL.nb, style="B")
joincount.multi(HICRIME, lw)

for a global baseline, and

Vis <- lapply(1:length(HICRIME), function(i) listw2star(lw, i, "B",
   n=length(HICRIME), D=NULL, a=NULL))
ljcs <- t(sapply(Vis, function(x) { res <- joincount.multi(HICRIME, x,
   zero.policy=TRUE); res[-nrow(res),1]}))

There are warnings because inference fails (as it should), but the tally
is the same, with:

apply(ljcs, 2, sum)/2

giving the counts of joins by type, dropping double-counting in the
summation. listw2star() is used in localmoran.sad() and elsewhere to
generate observation-wise weights objects. This isn't an implementation of
LICD in that the subregion for each i is simply its set of neighbours, not
a moving window, but at least provides a basis for classification.

As with other LISA, it is important to remove the effects of covariates,
so that an inferential approach might be based on GLM residuals (just a
speculation).

Hope this helps,

Roger