[R-sig-Geo] offsetting overlapping points

Paul Lantos paul.lantos at duke.edu
Wed Dec 23 17:44:11 CET 2015

Hi,

 I have a point dataset in which some points overlap. I'd like to find a way to randomly offset these points within a certain tolerance so that none perfectly overlap. I can't find a way to do this within ArcGIS. I'd like to find a way to either impose a grid and randomize all points that fall in each grid cell, or specify a tolerance (i.e. offset each point randomly by a certain number of map distance units and not allow both x and y to be identical for any one point).

Thanks!

Paul

Paul M. Lantos, M.D., FIDSA, FAAP, FACP
    Pediatric Infectious Diseases
    Hospital Medicine
Depts of Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
Duke University Medical Center

This message and any included attachments are confidential and are intended only for the addressee(s).  The information contained herein may be confidential under the attorney/client privilege and/or the quality assurance and peer review privilege.  Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing, copying or otherwise distributing or using such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender promptly by email or telephone and delete the message.