[R-sig-Geo] Problem installing rgeos

chris english englishchristophera at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 19:33:55 CEST 2015

Scott,

Keeping in mind that I'm not any sort of rgeos maintainer, but looking at
the config dialog, it appears to me that in the event of a failed build,
the config log wouldn't make it to:

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgeos'
* removing '/files3/R/R-3.2.1_install/lib64/R/library/rgeos'

as those files weren't written. Fair enough.
But, we do have that:
configure: error: in `/tmp/RtmpUjYUle/R.INSTALL41c15690b9e1/rgeos'

report line in there which is sufficiently specific/unique to suggest that
if one were to name something
as generic as config.log it wouldn't overwrite or get otherwise confused
with another config.log. So I'd clamber down that directory tree and see if
a config.log existed there somewhere. If there isn't some automatic
mechanism to remove from~/tmp, then it might likely be there...

Like yourself, I am at many times a head scratching user whose ah-ha
moments, if and when they come, are defined by having less hair and having
shed tears of frustration. Before I resort of posting to the list under the
"do thy homework" ethic.

So this is the best I can propose at the instance as mine was a successful
build.  I'll try a build again in a short while to actually just check if,
in the event of a clean build both the ~/tmp and ~/files3 are written as
I've been having some disk space problems and haven't  given much thought
to deleting ~/tmp items.

As to your last point, I was asking if the geos, not rgeos was build from
source as it relates to availability of geos headers rather than rgeos.

Hopefully more qualified rgeos will chime in and set us both right.
Chris