[R-sig-Geo] Problem installing rgeos

Waichler, Scott R Scott.Waichler at pnnl.gov
Mon Aug 3 16:34:10 CEST 2015

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think what I need is help tracking down what the exact error is in the compilation.  Let me try again with the part of the output describing the error:

> install.packages("rgeos", dependencies = F, repos = "http://cran.fhcrc.org/")
. . .
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in `/tmp/RtmpUjYUle/R.INSTALL41c15690b9e1/rgeos':
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgeos'
* removing '/files3/R/R-3.2.1_install/lib64/R/library/rgeos'

It says I should refer to config.log for more details.  The only config.log file I can find in the directory tree is the one for geos, which I installed a couple of years ago, and did not give me problems with previous installations of rgeos under earlier releases of R.  In case there is a clue, here is the output in that config.log around the cross compile message:

configure:3682: result:
configure:3704: checking whether we are cross compiling
configure:3712: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  >&5
configure:3716: $? = 0
configure:3723: ./conftest

Is there a config.log for the attempted rgeos installation?  Where would I find it?

> You're build is failing pretty early in the configuration process which
> suggests you are missing some tools in your development
> environment.  The latest geos was found. Was that a binary or built from
> source?  If from source you have the necessary tools in your dev
> environment and it may merely be a function of dropping the depends in
> you install.packages call....

Rgeos was built from source.

Thanks,
Scott Waichler