[R-sig-Geo] Interactive maps

Antonio Serrano aasdelat at aim.com
Wed Apr 29 15:36:13 CEST 2015

  Hello, all:

    I'm new in this forum. I have been redirected here from the r-help forum.

    Well, I have the challenge to produce an interactive map.

    I have a map which has been produced by a Fortran program. I have the sources of this Fortran program and can produce the map in many formats: eps, ps, png, jpeg, svg, etc.

    I have to load the map in R, which has to display it on the screen.

    Then, the user clicks on a point on the map, and then, R has to retrieve the longitude and latitude where the user has just clicked.

    And then, R has to look for some information corresponding to that location, process that information, and present it to the user in another graphic.

    And the point is: what format and metainformation has to have the map to be correctly read by R and to retrieve longitude and latitude when the user clicks, and not "figure" coordinates?.

    I am thinking on inoculating some metainformation into the map, from the fortran program, and read and interpret it from R, but there is perhaps a more "correct" way to do this.

Antonio Serrano
aasdelat at aim.com
ن