[R-sig-Geo] Define aliases in shapefiles

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Apr 9 21:32:25 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Arnaud Mosnier <a.mosnier at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I will create this for each of my shapefile ... but I expected that it
> could be embedded into the other "classic" shapefile files and could be read
> everywhere (it least in the most common GIS softwares).

I suspect the 10 char field name is one of the reasons everyone talks
about the "shapefile killer" format. That, and poor handling of
character sets, having to package three, four, five or more separate
files, and probably several other reasons.

 Really, if you can save as SpatiaLite (and you should be able to read
that into QGIS) you'll be using the latest "shapefile killer"
format.... Hopefully!

Barry