[R-sig-Geo] Question about derivative work - what is the license for map derived using e.g. spatial "predict" function?

Jochen Albrecht jochen.albrecht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 23:36:08 CET 2014

What makes Tomislav's question really hard to answer is that there is no
*one* copyright law. Just look at the long list of exceptions in the Google
legal notices that he provided. My experience is only with the United
States and here the matter is relatively clear (in spite of Hollywood's
extreme provisions).
1. As mentioned, facts are not copyrightable; so if you have just plain
data without any create packaging/mapping/analysis then these are not
protected - regardless of what the vendor may claim (and some vendor are
very creative with their claims).
2. Your derivation is your work and does therefore not inherit any
copyright either- even if the original was copyrighted, say because of the
packaging. The Google Earth digitization is a case here. Possibly not in
Israel, but here in the U.S. you may freely digitize , i.e., create new
data - the boundaries that you are digitizing are not part of the source
material but your (creative) interpretation. You may, however, not copy;
that is, you may not re-assemble the tiles.
3. The notions of original vs. derivative are every once in a while
contested in court but so far, the courts have usually sided with the
defense.
There are only two authors in our field that have published on this topic
that I am aware off. Check out either Onsrud or Cho for a long list of
cases.
Unless you find a way to make millions of your work (which would interest
me immensely) you are unlikely to be prosecuted across national boundaries
because the claimant's effort would not be worth it.
Cheers,
     Jochen

Dr. Jochen Albrecht
Computational and Theoretical Geography