[R-sig-Geo] Question about derivative work - what is the license for map derived using e.g. spatial "predict" function?

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Thu Nov 27 22:50:58 CET 2014

Hi Barry,

Thanks for reminding me about the "you can not copyright facts"
principle
(http://www.newmediarights.org/business_models/artist/are_facts_copyrighted).
So the point measured values can be considered to be, in fact, - facts.

So here is one more time the question to everyone (I am sure some of you
have experienced these issues in practice):

1. A point data set has a restrictive license.
2. From this point data you can derive predictions - these predictions
can not be used to re-produce point locations and values, hence the
source is untraceable.
3. Does this derivative work (spatial prediction) has to follow the same
data license as used for the point data, or this a new data sets for
which you can set license freely.

Some basic principles to consider:

1. One can not copyright facts
(http://www.newmediarights.org/business_models/artist/are_facts_copyrighted)
but facts can be protected using e.g. the "trade secret" laws.
2. If one would digitize content from Google Earth / maps imagery i.e.
digitize polygon maps representing geomorphology without a permission
from Google this would mean breaking of the Legal Notices
(http://www.google.com/help/legalnotices_maps.html) - has anyone bee
prosecuted for this ever?
3. "The transformation, modification or adaptation of the work must be
substantial and bear its author's personality to be original and thus
protected by copyright" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work)
hence it is OK to create derivative works as long as one can prove that
there are "substantial" new elements. Do spatial predictions from points
fall into this category?

thank you!

T. Hengl