[R-sig-Geo] Smoothing areal data or polygon data

Cizao Ren rencizao at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 16:59:42 CET 2014

Hello list,
I tried to smooth a cancer by zip code in
Los Angeles county using Pycno package as the example in package. The example works, but when I run the program
using our own data and error report as following.
The zipboundary is a spatialpolygon data in sp in r and
‘case’ is a set of numbers of cancer in each ZIP code. I increase the memory size, but still did not work. I found  Juta
Kawalerowicz (juta.kawalerowicz at nuffield.ox.ac.uk)
met the same problem and wrote the code to solve it. However, when I tried to download the code, the web did not appear. Does anyone know
how to fix it up or any other methods for areal interpolation?
Thank you very much,

Cizao Ren

zip.pycno <- pycno(zipboudary,case,r=0.2,converge=1)
Warning messages:
1: In (function (..., KEEP.OUT.ATTRS = TRUE,
stringsAsFactors = TRUE)  :
  Reached total allocation of 8118Mb: see
help(memory.size)
2: In (function (..., KEEP.OUT.ATTRS = TRUE,
stringsAsFactors = TRUE)  :
  Reached total allocation of 8118Mb: see
help(memory.size)
3: In (function (..., KEEP.OUT.ATTRS = TRUE,
stringsAsFactors = TRUE)  :
  Reached total allocation of 8118Mb: see
help(memory.size)
4: In (function (..., KEEP.OUT.ATTRS = TRUE,
stringsAsFactors = TRUE)  :
  Reached total allocation of 8118Mb: see
help(memory.size)
Error in over(x, y) :
  error in evaluating the argument 'x' in
selecting a method for function 'over': Error in coordinates(coords) :
  error in evaluating the argument 'obj' in
selecting a method for function 'coordinates': Error: cannot allocate vector of
size 3.0 Gb