[R-sig-Geo] Ecological Niche Factor Analysis

Mathieu Basille basille.web at ase-research.org
Wed Jun 18 19:49:06 CEST 2014

Dear Alannie,

Sorry for the very late answer. Sometimes even projections that should be the same are not, I guess due to the way R stores them. 'count.points' actually checks for

identical(proj4string(corysp), proj4string(bio))

So you can simply check:

proj4string(corysp)

and

proj4string(bio)

There might be a tiny difference that prevents the function to work. If this is the case, but you are sure that the two data sets are properly projected in the same projection, you can simply use (you'll get a warning):

proj4string(corysp) <- proj4string(bio)

and run 'count.points' again.

As for the histograms, I think you're trying to use 'hist.kasc' from the legacy adehabitat. And, as its name suggests, this only works --

~$ whoami
Mathieu Basille, PhD

~$ locate --details
University of Florida \\
Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center
(+1) 954-577-6314
http://ase-research.org/basille

~$ fortune
« Le tout est de tout dire, et je manque de mots
Et je manque de temps, et je manque d'audace. »
  -- Paul Éluardfor kascs, not SpatialPixelsDataFrames (the function is actually not available anymore in the new adehabitatMA). Try to use any column of the SPDF as a regular data frame column, with 'hist' and 'density' if that's what you're looking for.

Hope this helps,
Mathieu.

---- Le ven., 30 mai 2014 16:02:24 -0400 alannie  a écrit ----

>Oh, on that last part with the conversion, I actually used
>
>coordsp<-SpatialPoints(corysp, proj4string=CRS"+proj=longlat
>+datum=WGS84")) , bbox = NULL)
>
>Sorry for that mistake. Either way, it does not work.
>

>> Thanks Mathieu!
>>
>> This has gone very well so far, but I cannot seem to get the XY location
>> data and the bioclim maps in the same proj4string.
>> CODE: pr <- slot(count.points(corysp, bio), "data")[,1]
>> Error in count.points(corysp, bio) : different proj4string in w and xy
>>
>> This seems strange since everything in the same coordinate system WGS 1984
>> from previous analysis.
>>
>> class(corysp)
>> [1] "SpatialPointsDataFrame"
>> attr(,"package")
>> [1] "sp"
>>
>> summary(corysp)
>> Object of class SpatialPointsDataFrame
>> Coordinates:
>> min max
>> coords.x1 -124.1643 -119.7514
>> coords.x2 37.0000 40.8030
>> Is projected: NA
>> proj4string : [NA]
>> Number of points: 44
>> Data attributes:
>> taxon_name Y_latitude X_longitud
>> Collinsia corymbosa:44 Min. :37.00 Min. :-124.2
>> 1st Qu.:37.98 1st Qu.:-123.8
>> Median :39.46 Median :-123.8
>> Mean :38.99 Mean :-123.3
>> 3rd Qu.:39.50 3rd Qu.:-122.6
>> Max. :40.80 Max. :-119.8
>>

>> I have tried to change the coordinate system using
>> CODE:
>>
>> coordsp<-SpatialPoints(corysp, proj4string=CRS(as.character(NA)), bbox =
>> NULL)
>>
>> But get the same issue:
>>
>> pr <- slot(count.points(coordsp, bio), "data")[,1]
>> Error in count.points(coordsp, bio) : different proj4string in w and xy
>>

>> Also, I still cannot may histograms using the bioclim map data.
>>

>> Thanks so much for your assistance! You have helped me so much!
>>

>> Alannie
>>

>>> Dear Alannie,
>>>
>>> I think your problem comes from the handling of rasters as sp classes,
>>> not
>>> from the actual ENFA methods. You should try to import the rasters
>>> properly first, and check that they are actually valid
>>> 'SpatialPixelsDataFrame's. For instance, using rgdal:
>>>
>>> library(rgdal)
>>> bio1 <- readGDAL("bio1.asc")
>>> bio2 <- readGDAL("bio2.asc")
>>> bio3 <- readGDAL("bio3.asc")