[R-sig-Geo] Can anyone recommend an areal interpolation package?

Juta Kawalerowicz juta.kawalerowicz at nuffield.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 22:12:01 CEST 2014

Dear list members,

Does anyone know a working package for areal interpolation? I have 2
shapefiles (let's call them shapfile 1 and shapefile 2) for a country
(with attribute table). They are from different time period, the
boundaries change and I would like to calculate values from attribute
table in shapefile 1 over boundaries from shapefile 2.

The process is described here for ArcGIS (I found that the estimates
it produced were not accurate):

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0031000000q8000000

In the past I used pycno package written by Chris Brunsdon
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/pycno/index.html

but I see it is no longer maintained. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Juta