[R-sig-Geo] rgdal: please vote on proj4 requirement change

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Feb 8 18:18:23 CET 2014

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
>
>> If you install rgdal as a source package, your input would be helpful.
>>
>> Because of ongoing changes in the PROJ.4 library, it is desirable to
>> change the requirement in rgdal from the current >= 4.4.9 to >= 4.8.0.
>>

> Which version of libproj-dev is currently supported with the major Linux
> distributions?
>
> If I'm reading this page right:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=saucy&section=all&arch=any&keywords=libproj&searchon=names
>
> it looks like 4.7.0-2 is current for Ubuntu Saucy. Would that mean having
> to get a version 4.8.0 and compile from source so I can link it with rgdal?
> And now I have two problems...
>
> Alternatively, Ubuntugis unstable has 4.8.0 for Saucy, Ubuntugis stable has
> 4.8.0. for Lucid, Precise and Quantal. But Ubuntugis stable only has QGIS
> 1.8...
>
> So I think the implications of rgdal needing PROJ.4 >=4.8.0 are:
>
> 1. Compile PROJ.4 4.8.0 from source and try not to confuse your system
> with the version from packages
> 2. Use Ubuntu Saucy and Ubuntugis Unstable package
> 3. Use Ubuntu L, P, Q and an outdated QGIS....
> 4. On one box I have handy I have qgis from the qgis.org repository, and
> libproj 4.8.0 from a downloaded .deb file. I'm not sure where I got that
> from....
>
> So would requiring 4.8.0 inconvenience my workflow? Probably no more than
> the usual chase round the repositories I seem to do every time I try and
> get Qgis + Python + gdal + rgdal working on a new install :)

Right, so that even with so far unanimous yes on doodle, you are actually
at best a (maybe), because it does make a difference until ubuntu and
debian get their packages sorted out. Thanks, helpful ...

>From Fedora 16 (20 is current) the rpm is 4.8.0, and for Readhat 4/5/6,
CentOS 5/6 and OpenSuSE, 4.7.0 was last provided for Fedora 17.

Roger

> Barry

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no