[R-sig-Geo] Comparison of prediction performance (mapping accuracy) - how to test if a method B is significantly more accurate than method A?

Jean-Daniel Sylvain jeandaniel.sylvain at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 16:30:56 CEST 2014

Dear Tom/list,

The subject could also be look as the same problem encoutered in
ensemble forecast (e.g. meteorology).

If you could have more "folders" in your analysis (you can see each
folder as a member of an ensemble)
you could compare the two methods as it is done in ensemble forecast, in
meteorology and hydrology. Both disciplines provide tools which help to
study the accuracy, uncertainty and bias related to a forecast. Based on
this methodological framework, it could be possible to compare both
methods on several criterias.

For those which could be interested by the subject :

Brochero (2013) provides a good review of this subject in is Ph.D.
thesis and describe several indicators (Chapter 1). Hydroinformatics and
diversity in hydrological ensemble prediction systems.
  http://theses.ulaval.ca/archimede/meta/29908

The site below also provides a quick and simple review of the typical
indicators use in meteorological forecast:
http://www.eumetcal.org/resources/ukmeteocal/verification/www/english/courses/msgcrs/index.htm

However, in your case this approach seems limited by the number of
k-folders use.

This is just an idea that is worth explorating. In my research, I entend
to explore this approach. Any comments/suggestions?