[R-sig-Geo] gstat model cross validation SSerr vs other diagnostic measures

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Apr 3 08:22:39 CEST 2014

They are very different things. SSErr is an attribute of a variogram
model fitted to a sample variogram that describes how well this fit
went. Cross validation statistics tell you how well prediction went in a
cross validation context, under a given variogram model.

You can for instance multiply the variances in your variogram model with
a constang, e.g. change vgm(1, "Exp", 3, 1) with vgm(2, "Exp", 3, 2) and
you'd see completely identical predictions, but SSErr values typically
be very different.

--
Edzer Pebesma
Heisenbergstraße 2, 48149 Münster, Germany. Phone: +49 251