[R-sig-Geo] Error in SpatialPointsDataFrame(..., match.ID=TRUE)?

Jonathan Greenberg jgrn at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 10 00:52:13 CEST 2013

As a follow-up, it appears that the requirement in
SpatialPointsDataFrame is not that the rownames not be NULL, but that
it be a character.  The line that appears to be causing the issue is:

if (match.ID && is.character(attr(data, "row.names"))) {

Note that in the above example:

is.character(attr(CRAN_df_reordered, "row.names"))
# is FALSE, but:
is.character(rownames(CRAN_df_reordered))
# is TRUE

It appears that data.frames have numeric row names that are allowed to
be re-ordered just like a character row name, so it seems like this
error could be fixed by modding SpatialPointsDataFrame to be:

if (match.ID && is.character(rownames(data)) {

--j