[R-sig-Geo] trouble installing rgdal on CentOs 6.2 - help?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Nov 13 19:25:01 CET 2013

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, cyndy-jer wrote:

> Hi folks -
>
> I'm having trouble with rgdal on a Linux machine (specifically, CentOS 6.2).
> I've successfully installed sp and GeoTiff, Gdal, and a few other goodies
> from instructions on this page:
>
> http://scigeo.org/articles/howto-install-latest-geospatial-software-on-linux.html#libtiff

This page appears to be written by someone without sufficient insight into
basic Linux handling of shared objects, and without understanding the need
to clarify and simplify. There is no need to install most of the drivers
suggested, there is no need to build and install GDAL with all the flags
given, there is no need to put it in a special /opt location, there is no
need to build from trunk.

However, given that you've followed these arcane instructions, did you add
the install location to a directory under /etc/ld.so.conf.d as root, then
run /sbin/ldconfig to make the shared objects stored there available?

The page does use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and does run ldconfig from time to
time, but the page is far too picky.

Also consult:

https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/inst/README?view=markup&root=rgdal

or inst/README in the rgdal TARBALL for accumulated installation hints.

Hope this clarifies,

Roger