[R-sig-Geo] trouble installing rgdal on CentOs 6.2 - help?

cyndy-jer cyndyh at nmsu.edu
Wed Nov 13 18:29:03 CET 2013

Hi folks -

I'm having trouble with rgdal on a Linux machine (specifically, CentOS 6.2).
I've successfully installed sp and GeoTiff, Gdal, and a few other goodies
from instructions on this page:

http://scigeo.org/articles/howto-install-latest-geospatial-software-on-linux.html#libtiff

But when I go into R and install.packages("rgdal")  I get the following
error:

*** installing help indices
** building package indices
** installing vignettes
** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
 * unable to load shared object
'/usr/local/lib64/R/library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':
  libgdal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory*
Error: loading failed
Execution halted

However:

[root at jornada-devvlt2 libkml-trunk]# cd
/usr/local/lib64/R/library/rgdal/libs/
[root at jornada-devvlt2 libs]# ls
libgdal.so.1  rgdal.so  test

???  Can anyone shed any light on what might be wrong, here?

Thanks much.