[R-sig-Geo] GWR with some parameters held constant

Corey Sparks corey.sparks at UTSA.EDU
Thu Mar 7 16:13:04 CET 2013

Dear List,
This is more of a conceptual question. Let's say I have a regression model
with a gaussian outcome and two continuous predictors and the model shows
evidence of nonstationarity in one of the beta parameters for the
predictors, but not the other. In this case I may be interested in using GWR
to model the nonstationarity in the first parameter, while holding the
second constant at its OLS estimate. I've used GWR in the past with great
effect, but I think this is an interesting scenario.  I would really like to
hear what everyone thinks about this, and if it would be possible to hack
the gwr() code to make this model possible.

it would be like this:
library(spgwr)
data(columbus)

col.lm <- lm(crime ~ income + housing, data=columbus)
summary(col.lm)
#gives beta (housing) = -0.27

#Let's say that this is assumed stationary, I basically want to keep this
constant in the model, would a quick and dirty way to do this just be:
#this doesn't work of course

col.bw <- gwr.sel(crime ~ income + -(.27*housing), data=columbus,
                  coords=cbind(columbus$x, columbus$y))
col.gauss <- gwr(crime ~ income + -(.27*housing), data=columbus,
                 coords=cbind(columbus$x, columbus$y), bandwidth=col.bw)

#And I would want to get the GWR estimates for the location specific effect
of income, while holding the effect of housing constant.

Thanks all for any ideas
Corey Sparks

-----
Corey Sparks
Assistant professor
Department of Demography
The University of Texas at San Antonio
501 West Cesar E Chavez Blvd
San Antonio TX 78207
Corey.sparks 'at' utsa.edu
210 458 3166 <tel:210%20458%203166>
Latitude: 29.423614  /  Longitude: -98.504282