[R-sig-Geo] MacOS spatial packages installation

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jun 18 19:22:27 CEST 2013

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> Hi there
>
> what's the current best-practice method for installing all our
> favourite spatial packages on a Mac?
>
> Is there anything simpler or more recent than:
>
> http://codealamode.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/installing-rgdal-for-r-on-mac.html

Yes, and there probably was then too, unless extra drivers were needed for
GDAL or OGR, or where the latest GDAL or GEOS are needed. The OSX CRAN
binaries are up to date on rgdal and rgeos, and not too far behind on the
external dependencies, which are included statically built to remove the
risk of complication - all thanks to Brian Ripley for starting the
build process and Simon Urbanek for keeping it running. I don't have
access to such a platform, so comments from those using it would be
helpful. If the target users already have GEOS, GDAL, etc, installing from
source should be OK if their machines are set up to install from source,
but is obviously more demanding.

Hope this helps,

Roger