[R-sig-Geo] MacOS spatial packages installation

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jun 18 19:09:31 CEST 2013

Hi there

 what's the current best-practice method for installing all our
favourite spatial packages on a Mac?

 Is there anything simpler or more recent than:

http://codealamode.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/installing-rgdal-for-r-on-mac.html

I'm after installing rgdal, raster, maptools, rgeos, but unfortunately
I don't have a Mac to try it on - I'm trying to get instructions for
distributing to people before a workshop.

The easiest way for Ubuntu/Linux at the moment appears to be to
install R from CRAN's ubuntu packaging and then add Michael Rutter's
PPA "ppa:marutter/c2d4u" to your sources. This then lets you get rgdal
with "apt-get install r-cran-rgdal" (or a similar one-liner) which
gets all the gdal library dependencies.

But when I have to do this on Macs I find the instructions have always
changed since last time.

Thanks

Barry