[R-sig-Geo] specifying correlation structure in (n)lme

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jun 14 09:34:27 CEST 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013, Gregoire, Timothy wrote:

> Gabriel,
>
> Look at the Pinheiro & Bates book on Mixed Models, it is part of the
> Springer series and is prob'ly an online resource thru the Harvard
> library system.
>
> An alternative, outside the mixed models construct, is to use the
> likfit() function of the geoR package by Diggle & Ribeiro.

But note that the coordinates are said to be given in "decimal long/lat",
which if this means decimal degrees in geographical coordinates, and the
study area is not on the Equator, may lead to trouble. If the study area
is not global, you should project the coordinates to a planar
representation, otherwise the distances used may not be what you think,
and there may be instability numerically.

Roger