[R-sig-Geo] Local plane fitting to Point Cloud

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Jun 10 18:30:42 CEST 2013

Ludwig, your email does not contain the original posting, please include
or repeat in future mailings.

The original question was, I believe, about local fitting of trend surfaces.

This error can for instance happen when your neighbourhood is too small,
or does not contain enough information.

For a first order linear trend surface, a local neighbourhood should
have at least three points, and irrespective the neighbourhood size, the
points should not be aligned (on a straight line). My hint is that one
of these conditions is not met in your setup.

You can try to set debug level to powers of two (2, 8 or 16 seem
relevant) to get detailed input about the conditions under which this
happens.

On 06/10/2013 05:15 PM, Ludwig Hilger wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> unfortunately I have to come up with a follow-up question. As described
> above, this has worked now perfecty at first with some of my data, but with
> another dataset (but it has the same structure, etc) I get the following
> error:
>
> "solve.c", line 88: singular matrix in function Usolve()
> Fehler in predict.gstat(g, newdata = newdata, block = block, nsim = nsim, :
>  Usolve
>
> I have no idea what my R is trying to tell me... any hints?
>
> thank you again everybody,
>
> Ludwig
>

> -----
> Dipl. Geogr. Ludwig Hilger
> Wiss. MA
> Lehrstuhl für Physische Geographie
> Katholische Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt
> Ostenstraße 18
> 85072 Eichstätt
>
> Tel.: 08421-93-1180

Edzer Pebesma