[R-sig-Geo] Data from intersecting Lines of shp files

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jul 11 14:35:42 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Tscheikner-Gratl, Franz
<Franz.Tscheikner-Gratl at uibk.ac.at> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>  The problem is that I have data of a pipe network with missing attributes (construction year). So I would like to see what are the constructions years of the intersecting (neighbouring) pipes.
> Then I would fill the missing attributes with the oldest construction age.
> I could make it by hand with ArcGis but it would be lots of work - so I thought I could make it with R.

 That's a bit clearer - if you could make a simple example shapefile
that shows the problem (you don't have to share all your data) I'm
pretty sure its just a case of selecting the pipe features and looping
over one of the intersection functions, which should return the  The
problem is if you have more than one labelled pipe crossing an
unlabelled pipe, or if no pipes cross - or in that case do you want
the nearest pipe? Maybe nearest is a better solution in any case
(since crossing pipes have distance zero)...

 Worst case scenario is a double loop over features with missing data
over features with data...

Barry