[R-sig-Geo] Data from intersecting Lines of shp files

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jul 11 14:17:06 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM, ElSiebo
<Franz.Tscheikner-Gratl at uibk.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi
> Iam quite new to R and Iam trying to use it for GIS application.
> I used the maptools package to load a shapefile
> WVA<-readShapeLines("WVA")

1. Use readOGR from the rgdal package to read shapefiles - it will
handle the projection properly (unless maptools has fxed this).

> and now I would like to fill gaps in the shape file (missing numbers) with
> the numbers from intersecting lines
> I have tried with gintersect but I can only get true or false for answer and
> not the numbers of the intersected lines...
> For example for the first line....
> gIntersects(WVA[1,],WVA, byid=TRUE)
>
> Is there another possibility to do this?

 Its hard to figure out what you are trying to do - a picture might
help, but there's no image posting to this mailing list. If you could
make a diagram and upload it somewhere we can all see it (any picture
hosting service - flickr, picasa, etc etc) then we might get a better
idea.

 My first problem with your explanation is I don't understand exactly
what  'gaps in the shapefile (missing numbers)' means. Its a set of
line features - where are the gaps? Is it missing attribute data or
coordinate data?

Barry