[R-sig-Geo] SEM model : system is singular

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Jul 7 21:45:03 CEST 2013

On Thu, 4 Jul 2013, erwin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to do a spatial model for my master thesis. If I do a SEM or SAR
> model i get the message:
>
> Fehler in solve.default(asyvar, tol = tol.solve) :
>  System ist für den Rechner singulär: reziproke Konditionszahl =
> 3.61856e-20
>
> In other posts i have read that the reason could be multicollinearity. I
> have tested it with vif but all factors were below 2. I have also tried to
> add random numbers like suggested in another post but i got the same error
> message.

Instead of reading posts, which are often just guesses, do please read the
help page, which says that you may rescale the variables to avoid the
problem, whoich occurs when the spatial coefficient takes values that
differ greatly from sigma squared and the other coefficients.

> If i do an SAR with another method like "Matrix_J" i get the following error
> message:
>
> Fehler in as_dsTMatrix_listw(get("listw", envir = env)) :
>  odd neighbours sum

Your weights appear not to be symmetric, which is a requirement for using
Cholesky decomposition. This should probably be trapped earlier; the "LU"
method should work for the same weights.

> So i don't get results at any type of model. I have a 2380*2380 weighting
> matrix could the size be a problem?

Not a problem on current hardware.

Hope this helps,

Roger