[R-sig-Geo] what's new in asdar latest edition?

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Jul 1 22:21:10 CEST 2013

On 07/01/2013 06:54 PM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Edzer Pebesma
> <edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de> wrote:
>
>> The second edition contains full colour figures, many new examples, and
>> addresses several new packages, in particular rgeos and spacetime.
>> References were updated or added. Code examples have been updated, e.g.
>> the use of overlay() was removed altogether in favour of over(),
>> aggregate() has been explained, and spatial selections based on
>> intersection are now done by x[y,] with y a Spatial* object.
>>
>> After the spatial workshop at UseR!, next week (Jul 9, 17:45 CEST), a
>> little celebration will take place to launch the second edition --
>> everyone is invited! Roger and Virgilio will be there in person.
>> https://twitter.com/SpringerStats/statuses/350673280354615298
>
>  Sounds great - if you send me a free copy I'll plug it at the
> workshop I'm doing for ecologists next week - 90 of them, that should
> generate some sales!

I would have liked to, but haven't received any author copies so far.

>  Any mention of package:raster?

Yes, chapters 2, 3 and 5 do have sections about raster, but in the
foreword to the second edition we mention that "We have not attempted to
cover the raster package in the detail that it deserves, hoping that a
raster book will appear before long."

> congrates

Thanks, and have fun with the ecologists!

--
Edzer Pebesma
83 33081, Fax: +49 251 8339763 http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de