[R-sig-Geo] Need help with spatial data plotting

EPBaron ephraim at epbaron.com
Thu Feb 14 18:15:25 CET 2013

Edzer Pebesma-2 wrote
> Most of us learned to crawl before we could walk, but this is something we
> cannot do for you. Go to the R web site, read the R FAQ and the R manual
> "An introduction to R", read as much as possible related or similar
> material as you can, and get your hands dirty on doing simple things.
> Then, read the mailing list posting guide to learn which questions trigger
> volunteers to answer here:http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html

I understand that I have a responsibility to try before simply asking for
help.  To that end, I completed a 4-week Coursera class on " Computing for
Data Analysis <https://www.coursera.org/course/compdata>  ".  I'm midway
through an 8-week class on  Data Analysis
<https://class.coursera.org/dataanalysis-001/class>  .  On my desk, I have
both the R Cookbook and the R Graphic Cookbook from O'Reilly, which I use
often.  I have made several web searches and found a number of useful
references.  I've followed along step-by-step with the examples provided.  I
made a number of attempts to substitute my data for what was used in the
examples, but I kept getting indecipherable (for me, at least) errors.  I
googled the errors, but when I could find matches they didn't enlighten.
All of which is to say that this wasn't the first place I looked for help.
It just seemed the most promising, since so many people in this country of
yours seem to speak the language beautifully.  I am a tourist asking for
directions - not detailed, step-by-step directions, but general directions
such as "if you go to this district, you'll find a good chocolate shop".
Or, in my case, "this package is most useful for what you're trying to do,
and you can find more information about it here ..."
If I have violated the etiquette or customs of your country, I apologize.
It was not my intent.  I came to admire, not to criticize.