[R-sig-Geo] writeOGR(GeoJSON) to string instead of file

Philip Greenwood philip.greenwood at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Feb 14 02:09:33 CET 2013

Hi all,

My project requires passing spatial data from R to Java, and then storing data as GeoJSON. I'm using RServe to interface between R and Java.

I'm using writeOGR{rgdal} to a create GeoJSON temporary file then reading the file and passing as a string in Java. It would be really nice to avoid writing the temporary file, and have R return a GeoJSON string.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Philip Greenwood

Geospatial and Analytics eEnabler
Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network (AURIN)
308 Doug McDonell Building, University of Melbourne
Tel: +61-(0)3-9035-8549
philip.greenwood at unimelb.edu.au