[R-sig-Geo] 64-bit ncdf4 for Windows??

JohnG John_gross at nps.gov
Sat Feb 9 18:03:07 CET 2013

Ista,

Sorry about lack of detail.  Here are a some additional specifics:
- this is for Windows (only).  I'm aware the libraries exist for Linus,
MacOX, etc  but we're a Windows shop.
- R:  We've been struggling with this in ver 2.14 to the current (2.15.2).
It's not a version issue.

Two professional developers here have attempted to build the libraries.  The
most recent is on vacation so I can't provide precise error messages, but I
can get those details this Wed. or Thurs. if they'd be helpful.  My
recollection is that the issue was the make file and library linking - maybe
a library or function not found error.

We followed the directions to the Unidata site and (both times) downloaded
the most recent 64-bit files (yes, they exist).

This is a known, difficult issue, and I suspect what I'm looking for is a
very talented person that has successfully build the libraries.

The best instructions I know of are at:

http://cirrus.ucsd.edu/~pierce/ncdf/how_to_build_on_windows.html

and D. Pierce notes that he will not support others that attempt the build,
presumably because of the mysterious issues and error messages, which may be
system-specific.  These are noted on his web page.

Unidata apparently has restricted public distribution of the compiled
libraries, thus I'm thinking that a solution is most likely to come from
someone that's built the libraries, but is not posting them to avoid
licensing violation.  If (when?) we're successful, we'll be in a similar
position - presumably we can respond to requests from individuals for the
64-bit package, but we won't be able post it to the RCRAN site.