[R-sig-Geo] a spatial bestiary?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 27 20:09:40 CET 2013

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013, Agus Camacho wrote:

> Many thanks for that Lee,
>
> As a student, I think would appreciate having in that script a summary of
> general strategies for extracting the values from each type of object and
> also for applying functions to them.

Please refer to the resources mentioned in:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2013-December/020127.html

in a different thread. Because spatial data can be approached from
different disciplinary and professional starting points, such as:

@techreport{herring11,
    author = {John R. Herring},
    title = {{OpenGIS\textregistered} Implementation Standard for
Geographic information - Simple feature access - Part 1: Common
architecture},
    institution = {Open Geospatial Consortium Inc.},
    number = {1.2.1, OGC 06-103r4},
    year = {2011}
}

or

@incollection{kresseetal:12,
   author = {Wolfgang Kresse and David M. Danko and Kian Fadaie},
   title = {Standardization},
   year = {2012},
   editor = {Wolfgang Kresse and David M. Danko},
   booktitle = {Springer Handbook of Geographic Information},
   publisher = {Springer},
   address = {Berlin Heidelberg},
   pages = {393--565}
}

it isn't obvious which end of the beast to examine first, tail, hoof,
ears? At base this is a question about reference ontologies and support,
so "a point" is very rarely just a numeric vector of length two or three,
really. The sp classes don't even try to touch positional measurement
error, for example, nor the data collection protocolls implicit in the
given "position". It is hard to get the classes clear, and then methods
require more again. The materials in the link are as far as we've got.

Roger