[R-sig-Geo] +AFs-R-sig-Geo+AF0- Creating a map with metropolitan areas

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 27 19:59:16 CET 2013

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013, Rolando Valdez wrote:

> I have no tried anything, that's why I'm looking for help.
>
> Maybe this list is too advanced for my skills in R environment, because
> I need to start from the begining.
>
> My idea basicly is to merge both maps, and go painting the data by
> metropolitan area excluding the municipalities left.
>
> Perhaps you can guide me with some manuals for beginners about the
> maptools and sp. Some examples may help also.

In addition to Greg's constructive suggestions, you (and others) may find
the resources at:

http://geostat-course.org/Topic_Bivand_2012

useful. There are other materials in the course to which this belongs:

http://geostat-course.org/Muenster_2012

This link shows the available recordings from Münster in 2012 and Landau
2011:

http://archive.org/search.php?query=GEOSTAT

with:

http://archive.org/details/GeostatIntroductionToRepresentingSpatialObjectsInR

the recording of my 2012 talk (1 1/2 hours, I'm afraid). The slides and
accompanying materials cover much of chapters 2-5 of the second edition of
our book (2013), so there is information around. However, as users' needs
vary greatly, it is never easy to provide general advice that is a good
match to specific cases.

Hope this helps,

Roger