[R-sig-Geo] Interpolating with barrier in R

Camilo Mora cmora at dal.ca
Mon Sep 17 01:38:30 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

I have some point data over the entire world that i want to
interpolate to a raster with resolution of 1 degree.

I have been able to work the code for IDW and Spline in the raster
package in R....but I wonder if there is a way to include a barrier to
the interpolations?. In ArcGis several interpolations allow for the
use of barriers beyond which interpolation is stopped. Is there an
analogous feature in r?

I note that the results of IDW and Spline interpolate over land and my
worry is that in certain places like the panama, data from the pacific
may be used to interpolate the caribbean and viceversa.

Any advice will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Camilo

Camilo Mora, Ph.D.
Department of Geography, University of Hawaii
Currently available in Colombia
Phone:   Country code: 57
          Provider code: 313
          Phone 776 2282