[R-sig-Geo] Azimuthal equidistant projection and rgdal

Ashton Shortridge ashton at msu.edu
Tue Nov 13 18:39:06 CET 2012

Dear Johan (and list),

you are right in the first case: I think the result is expected. Using global
data with this sort of projection will look kind of awful - the equatorial
azimuthal equidistant illustrations in Snyder do not try to map data for the
whole planet - they employ a hemisphere.

When I clip the results to a hemisphere:
dta <- map("world",  xlim=c(-180, 0), ylim=c(-90,90), plot=FALSE)
dta2 <- spTransform(dta1, CRS("+proj=aeqd +lat_0=0 +lon_0=-0"))
plot(dta2, axes=TRUE)

the result looks pretty similar to what I see in Snyder's work.

That said... it is strange to me that using your global data the projection
does NOT wrap around when doing a polar azimuthal projection, but then it does
when you do not. This may not be on-topic for this stats list - I wonder if
you could reach out to the GDAL community if you still have questions?

Yours,

Ashton

-----
Ashton Shortridge