[R-sig-Geo] Generating a precise map from coordinates.

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Mar 19 09:23:18 CET 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini wrote:

> On 19/03/12 04:50, Agus Camacho wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am still new to plot maps in R and trying to plot the object (wrld_simpl)
>> from maptools. However found it difficult to plot a map with precise
>> coordinates.
>>
>> The following series of plots shows what I am talking about:
>> The margins of the plot are those specified only in some cases but others
>> not. Anybody could give me a hint to generate maps from coordinates without
>> having to be fishing a set of coordinates that looks good?
>
> Did you look at :
>
> http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/gallery/
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html

I think that this is a repeat of:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2012-February/014183.html

and recommend reading that thread - it has to do with the default device
usually being "square", and asp= being set to 1 (or to a
latitude-corrected value if the coordinates are known not to be
projected).

Roger

> ?
>
> IHTH,
>
> Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini

Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no