[R-sig-Geo] unable to customize a plot produced from a shapefile

satishr satish.regonda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 21:19:37 CET 2012

Hi,
  I read ESRI shapefile and related files using readOGR, and was able to
plot successfully but am unable to customize the plot. The data is attached
and corresponds to US climate divisions.
  The below mentioned second command supposed to produce a plot of sub
region of the USA but it's not. I tried using readShapePoly but no success.
In addition, I found a lot of space on top of the picture and want to reduce
it, but not sure how to do it. I request you to provide suggestions.
Thanks,
Satish

> climagdiv = readOGR("US102ClimateDivisions", "US102ClimateDivisions")
OGR data source with driver: ESRI Shapefile
Source: "US102ClimateDivisions", layer: "US102ClimateDivisions"
with 102 features and 5 fields
Feature type: wkbPolygon with 2 dimensions
> plot(climagdiv)
> plot(climagdiv,ylim=c(20,40))

>climagdiv = readShapePoly("US102ClimateDivisions.shp")
> plot(climagdiv)
> plot(climagdiv,ylim=c(20,40))

Data:
http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/file/n7270579/US102ClimateDivisions.zip