[R-sig-Geo] Extracting minimum convex polygons of species distributions

Colin Rundel rundel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:32:35 CET 2012

While I think it is somewhat simplistic for modeling a species' distribution you can use a convex hull to get a convex bounding polygon for your presence locations. This will not take into account islands but you can remove non-terristrial areas by getting an intersection of the bounding polygon with a coast line shapefile. You can look into gConvexHull and gIntersection in the rgeos package for implementations of these two operations.

I'm not sure what scale you're working with for the final boundaries but since the presence data is for 1 km grid cells you can take this into account using the raster package's rasterToPolygons function to create polygons which are then used to construct the convex hull.

-Colin