[R-sig-Geo] Projected data in R-Gstat

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jun 18 16:29:35 CEST 2012

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, kapo coulibaly wrote:

> As stated on the help page for proj4string, it "Sets or retrieves
> projection attributes on classes extending SpatialData". So proj4string
> does not reproject. There are various ways to do projection in R but from
> what you are describing maybe the simplest way for you would be to use the
> package *proj4* and the commands *project* or* ptransform* from this
> package. The help page for project is pasted below to give you an idea.

You may use proj4 if you like, but it does not support sp classes. For
these, use the equivalent implementation in rgdal, see ?spTransform.

Note, however, that gstat *does* work with data in geographical
coordinates if the data are in the form of an object of a class defined in
sp with the coordinate reference system set - see the example to
variogram().

Roger