[R-sig-Geo] Local Moran's I spatial weights

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Jun 12 14:45:47 CEST 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Daniel Wicks wrote:

> I have a number of random sample points across a study area.  At each
> point an observation has been made as to the occurrence of an event,
> marked accordingly with a 0 or 1 based on a presence or absence of the
> event.

How were the observations made? Were the observation locations determined
by you - a random sample, or by the phenomena (in which case it is more
like a marked point process).

> I am interested in visualising the spatial association between
> these points.  I therefore want to create a map showing local variation
> of Moran's I but in the form of a continuous surface across the entire
> study area.

Well, Moran's I is for a continuously valued observed variable (or
residuals), not for a 0/1 variable. The equivalent measure is the join
count, but this does not have a local version.

If your observations are 0/1, and have point support, it isn't obvious why
you want a continuous surface. This would be nearest to some kind of odds
interpolation (what is the chance of a 1 at an unobserved location, given
the data and their locations). You have to be very careful indeed with
inhomogeneity (that is here, spatially patterned omitted environmental
variables influencing the 0 or 1 observations).

It is also possible that your sampling scheme is affecting the outcome -
it is possible to sample to at least partially control for inhomogeneity.

> You can achieve this in GWR using the fit.points weighted
> by distances from the data points to produce a map of local variation in
> regression.  I am trying to do something similar with Moran's I.

GWR has nothing to do with this at all.

> I apologise for the confusion as I am not best sure how to express my
> query.

Your data are probably rather different from your view of them. I'm not
sure, but maybe a kernel ratio of 2D kernels for the 0 and 1 marked
observations might help you visualise things, even though this isn't
really a marked point process. You'd still risk falling into the trap of
inhomogeneity (the apparently important features of the ratio map might
correlate highly with missing variables).

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no