[R-sig-Geo] Why do I get different P value of LISA from R and GeoDa ?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Jul 27 16:20:11 CEST 2012

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, ria arinda wrote:

> I wonder why localmoran[,5] or P value which I get from R
> localmoran(variableX, weight.nb, alternative='two.sided') is different
> with GeoDa's (LISA_P). I have used alternative 'two.sided', 'greater',
> and 'less' but the they're still different. Both LISA indices from R and
> GeoDa are already equal. What should I do to get similar p value from R
> localmoran and GeoDa localmoran? Thanks

If I remember correctly, GeoDa uses a permutation test (with random
numbers), running only 99 permutations, while localmoran() in spdep uses
the analytical expectations and variances. Repeated permutation tests
and/or increasing the number of permutations should lead to similar
results as the analytical formulae, possibly unless the data do not meet
the distributional assumptions of the formulae.

Try rather to use localmoran.sad() for a Saddlepoint approximation.

Hope this clarifies,

Roger