[R-sig-Geo] testing for a valid raster format before reading

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini mauricio.zambrano at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Fri Jul 27 11:08:01 CEST 2012

Dear list,

Do you know if there is any way for testing if a file can be read by the
'raster' command of the 'raster' package ?

something like:

  is.raster("myfile.asc") ....

I'm asking because I have to read many files within several directories.
The filenames of the maps go from XXXXXXXX.001 up to XXXXXX99.999, with
some additional files that should be skipped of the reading process
(which extension varies from directory to directory, e.g., .csv, .txt,
.zip, etc).

The error I'm getting now, which appears when trying to get information
about the file with 'GDALinfo', is the following:

Error in .local(.Object, ...) :
   `lai.zip' not recognised as a supported file format.

1> traceback()
15: .Call("RGDAL_OpenDataset", as.character(filename), TRUE, silent,
         PACKAGE = "rgdal")
14: .local(.Object, ...)
13: initialize(value, ...)
12: initialize(value, ...)
11: new("GDALReadOnlyDataset", filename, silent = silent)
10: GDAL.open(fname, silent = silent)
9: GDALinfo(maps.list[i])

Thanks in advance for any help,

Kinds,

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini

Water Resources Unit
Joint Research Centre (JRC), European Commission
webinfo    : http://floods.jrc.ec.europa.eu/