[R-sig-Geo] Raster Brick Iteration

Stavana stavanastrutz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 19:03:24 CEST 2012

Hi listmembers,

I've constructed rasterbricks of the 19 bioclimatic variables (using the
biovars method) for each year in the United States from 1980-2011 and I'd
like to calculate that mean of each bioclim variable over a particular
temporal range. I need to loop through each layer of the rasterbrick for a
set of years and get the mean.

For example, I'd like to calculate the mean of bioclim1, then 2, then 3,
then 4, etc. for the years 1980-89 and store those averages in a new raster
brick or set of raster layers. I know there has to be a way to loop through
each layer of a raster brick or extract corresponding layers from different
bricks but I'm having difficulty locating an example of how to do so.

I'm also curious as to the exact difference between a raster stack and a
raster brick, I've read the definition in Hijmans Raster package manual but
still do not understand the precise difference.

Any code help would be much appreciated as would suggestions of other web
resources or books on the subject. I generally work in ArcGIS but am trying
out R because it seems a bit faster in some of its raster processing
capabilities.

Thank you,
Stavana Strutz
University of Texas at Austin