[R-sig-Geo] Georeferencing in R

Juta Kawalerowicz juta.kawalerowicz at stx.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 21:16:56 CET 2012

On 25/01/2012 16:17, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Ben Weinstein
> <benweinstein2010 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hello all, posting a question for a friend.
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience georeferencing historical museum data using R
>> packages? I'd also be interested in any up to date solutions outside of R,
>> but it would be easily to integrate all analysis into one script.

Hey,

I know of another outside R solutions which is used for digitalising
maps - it's called Arc Explorer. You can download it free of charge from
Esri website. Sorry, this is not an R solution, but hopefully will lead
you to a possible way to approach this problem.  The procedure is the
same as described by Barry, you scan a map and then mark points (at
least 3) for which geographic coords are known.

I may have some old tutorial notes, so if you want a copy let me know.

Juta