[R-sig-Geo] Georeferencing in R

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 17:17:21 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Ben Weinstein
<benweinstein2010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all, posting a question for a friend.
>
> Has anyone had any experience georeferencing historical museum data using R
> packages? I'd also be interested in any up to date solutions outside of R,
> but it would be easily to integrate all analysis into one script.

 What sort of georeferencing do you mean? Imagery? Or getting coords
from text (placenames etc)?

 I'd use Quantum GIS for georeferencing imagery - the georeferencing
plugin there lets you load in an image, click points on the image and
either enter coordinates or click the corresponding point on a visible
map. Then click the 'go' button and it works out the transform to
overlay your image on the map correctly.

  For text referencing you might be able to use my "geonames" R
package to search location info from the www.geonames.org database.

Barry