[R-sig-Geo] convert shapefile with Lambert Projection to longitude + latitude

gregor.hochschild at gmx.de gregor.hochschild at gmx.de
Sun Feb 26 18:24:16 CET 2012

Hi,

I am not sure whether I am expressing myself correctly but I have the following problem:
The shapefile I have is in Lambert Conformal Conic with coordinates like this (I not even sure whether the Lambert projection is the problem):
       min       max
x 913175.1 1067382.5
y 120121.9  272844.3

Plotting works fine but now I want to add points based on longitude and latitude (NYC area around -73 and 40).

How can I convert my shapefile to longitude and latitude coordinates? Or alternatively, how can I convert my point locations?

Thanks!

The shapefile is from here:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bytes/dwndistricts.shtml
(NYC Census Track 2010 file)

Here are more information about the shapefile:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bytes/meta_dis_censustracts2010.shtml

Map Projection Name: Lambert Conformal Conic
Lambert Conformal Conic:
Standard Parallel: 40.666667
Standard Parallel: 41.033333
Longitude of Central Meridian: -74.000000
Latitude of Projection Origin: 40.166667
False Easting: 984250.000000
False Northing: 0.000000