[R-sig-Geo] Creating multidimentional vector map

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 11:35:05 CET 2012

Hmm, the subject "multidimensional" got me thinking of "rasterized"
vector layers, but I think that was off-track.

You can use gSimplify in the rgeos package to easily simplify a
Spatial[Lines/Polygons]DataFrame as read in by readShapeSpatial
(maptools) or readOGR (rgdal) (or coerced from some other format). The
output of gSimplify is a simplified version of the input that you can
collect like any other R object in a list().

See

library(rgeos)
?gSimplify

HTH