[R-sig-Geo] Creating multidimentional vector map

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 11:05:29 CET 2012

This is a pretty open question, and there are certainly things you
could do in R but I wonder if you'd be better looking elsewhere.

Using GDAL gives you a lot of support for pre-rendered scales and
tiled data sets, and the GDAL library has tools for rasterizing from
vector layers.  Also, mapserver provides great support for serving
layers already.

I'd probably start there instead of in R itself.

http://mapserver.org/

www.gdal.org

(This is not to say that there isn't a super-cunning R solution as
well, but the ones I can think of would better leverage these tools
more directly . . .).

Cheers, Mike